News & project updates
December 8, 2016
Signage to improve business access
To respond to community concerns, the City installed temporary business access signage to help drivers navigate the Multiway Boulevard during construction. Signs on SR 522 will route traffic bound for Six Oaks businesses via 98th Ave NE since left turns are temporarily prohibited on northbound Bothell Way NE to Reder Way. Additional signage for southbound traffic on Bothell Way NE informs drivers about where left turns are permitted.
See the lane closure details for this week.
Traffic pattern changes
During construction, drivers should be aware of these changes:
Southbound traffic can make left turns at these intersections only
- Reder Way
- Main Street
- SR 522
Northbound traffic can make left turns at these intersections only
- Reder Way
- NE 188th St
Business access for The Ranch Drive-In and Speedy Auto Glass
- Right turn in, right turn out only
Local business access between NE 185th St and Reder Way
- Use NE 185th St, NE 186th St, and Reder Way
Business access at Six Oaks
If you're visiting Social Grounds, Amaro Bistro, or BECU, we encourage you to park in the City Hall parking garage and cross Bothell Way NE on foot at NE 185th St.
The contractor will soon begin paving Reder Way, and construct sidewalks, rain gardens, and side access lane pavers from SR 522 to NE 183rd St.
What is a multiway boulevard?
A boulevard is a street design that uses medians to separate through traffic lanes from local access traffic lanes. The boulevard design balances competing needs for:
- Roadway capacity
- Local access
- Street parking
- Urban density
- Pedestrian comfort
Phase 1 of the Multiway Boulevard project was completed in 2014. The project transformed the west side of Bothell Way NE between SR 522 and Reder Way.
Phase 2 construction on the east side and remaining west side has started. When the project is complete in summer 2017, pedestrians will be able to cross back and forth easily between historic downtown on the east side of Bothell Way and the newly developing west side.
New southbound traffic lanes should be finished by late October 2016. In November, northbound traffic will shift to a temporary alignment next to the southbound lanes while the contractor works on the remaining improvements on the east side of Bothell Way NE.
Benefits shared by all
Motorists, bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit riders will share the benefits of multimodal transportation options in downtown Bothell.
- 14-feet wide sidewalks from SR 522 to Reder Way
- Bike racks, street furniture, litter and recycle bins
- Four full size arterial traffic lanes with center turn lanes
- Four signalized intersections
- Intelligent Transportation System interconnects all traffic signals on NE Bothell Way
- LED streetlights
- Local access lane SR 522 to Reder Way
- 15 mph speed limit
- Includes parking, bicycle lanes
- No left turn from access lane to side street
- Separated from the arterial lanes by a median
- No driveway access between SR 522 and Reder Way
- No left turns at NE 183rd Street
- Onsite sustainable drainage features: rain gardens, permeable street pavers
- Signals monitored by Bothell Traffic Management Center
- Three driveways between Reder Way and NE 188th Street
- Construction Starts: Spring 2016
- New Southbound Arterial Lanes Open: Mid August 2016
- New Northbound Arterial Lanes Open: Mid October 2016
- Start Local Access Lane Construction: January 2017
- Construction Complete: July 2017