Items Your Voucher Covers
- Medical sharps: includes hypodermic needles, syringes with needles attached, intravenous (IV) tubing with needles attached, scalpel blades and lancets that have been removed from the original sterile packaging. Sharps must be in puncture-proof and leak-resistant plastic container. Home generated sharps only. No loose sharps.
- Textiles (before the station entrance): includes reusable clothing, belts, scarves, hats, boots, shoes, curtains, fabric, linens, blankets, stuffed animals, and area rugs for reuse and recycling. Includes torn, worn, stained materials and single shoes/boots and socks. No mattresses, box springs, carpet, or carpet padding. No wet or moldy items, no items soiled with toxic, hazardous or flammable materials.
- Scrap metal includes (chain link and wire fencing, lawn furniture, screen doors, siding, household items, plumbing parts, metal pipes (no insulation), bicycles, small auto parts and lawnmowers (remove all fluids and batteries), rims (tires removed), barbecue grills (remove fluids), gutters and wire.
- Bikes and Bike Parts: Accepts bicycles and bike parts for reuse and recycling. Bikes that can be refurbished are delivered to Bike Works, a nonprofit organization that builds sustainable communities by educating youth and promoting bicycling. (No charge to recycle items).
- Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes - and other mercury-containing light bulbs and tubes: (Limit 10 per person per day)*** For more information, see this mercury-containing bulbs and tubes sign.
Recycle These Items for a Fee
- Large appliances: includes appliances that contain or contained refrigerants (refrigerators, freezers, etc.) and other large appliances (hot water heaters, stoves, dishwashers, dehumidifiers, etc.). Limit 3 per load. Appliances must be empty. No commercial appliances.*
- Clean wood: includes branches less than 8 feet long, stumps (no dirt), pallets, cedar shingles (no tar paper), lath (no plaster), plywood, construction lumber (nails are OK), oriented strand board (OSB). No items longer than 8 ft. No painted, stained or treated wood. Clean wood must be separated from garbage.**
*$30 for large refrigerant-type appliance, $10 other large non-refrigerant type appliances
**$75.00 per ton for yard debris and clean wood with a minimum of $12 (covers up to 320lbs)
Materials Not Covered By Voucher
- Anything over 8 ft in length
- Barbed Wire
- Broken Lights
- Cleaning Products
- Exercise Equipment
- Fiberglass (hot tubs)
- Furniture & Mattresses
- Large Plastic Items
- Latex Paint
- Light Fixture Ballasts
- Oil Based Paint
- Painted or Treated Wood
- Propane Tanks
- Rocks & Sod
- Sealed Drums
- Solvents & Thinners
- Vacuum Cleaners
- Vehicle or Marine Batteries
- Items that are larger than 2 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet and weigh more than 200 lbs are not accepted because they can damage garbage handling equipment. Examples of unacceptable dense items include large stumps.
Household Hazardous Materials
The Household Hazardous Wastemobile might be able to take those hazardous materials off your hands. Visit the Household Hazardous Waste website for more information, and check out our events page to see the dates for Bothell.