Winter weather

Jan. 5, 2017

Winter weather to continue

Forecasts call for continued cold with temperatures below freezing, with afternoon temperatures staying near freezing. Be prepared and use extra caution when driving. 

Despite freezing temperatures, ice on ponds and lakes is not thick enough to support your weight. Warn kids to avoid playing on frozen lakes and ponds.

Crew preparedness for snow and ice

Public Works crews are ready to respond to snow or ice. Crews have been briefed on weather forecasts and attended refresher training on snow and ice equipment operations. Equipment and supplies have been prepared for winter operations, including:
  • 3 dump trucks fitted with snow plows and sanders 
  • A small sander truck and an anti-icing skid truck
  • 3 backhoes and one small tractor 
  • Road salt and sand stockpiles were topped off:
    • 280 ton of sand
    • 100 ton of road salt
    • 6,000 gallons of anti-ice liquid
snow plow

Know what's happening

  • Check current forecasts.
  • Sign up for emergency alerts, a local alert system.
  • Tune in to local media for forecast updates and current information. 
  • Check our social media sites. We're using #BothellSnow16

Be prepared

Learn how to prepare for emergencies to safeguard yourself and your family.


  • Be sure you have a disaster kit, including flashlights with extra batteries.
  • If roads are snowy or icy, don't drive unless you need to. 
  • Use City snow routes if possible. The City has prioritized which roads will be plowed first. 
  • Get checklists and tips for winter weather in English and other languages at TakeWinterbyStorm
  • Follow winter weather safety tips (PDF)
  • Stay safe in winter weather (PDF)
  • Stay away from downed power lines and sagging trees with broken limbs.
  • Never use gas ovens, gas ranges, barbecues, or propane heaters for indoor heating. Doing so can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. These can also increase the risk of fire.
  • Generators should only be operated outdoors, and far from open windows and vents.
  • Prevent frozen pipes 
  • Know before you go: Snow plow routes
  • Heed winter safety tips (PDF)
  • Prevent frozen pipes (PDF) 
  • Know before you go: Snow plow routes
  • Heed winter safety tips (PDF)
  • Who to call for help

    To report power outages, contact your local utility provider:

    • Puget Sound Energy - 1-888-225-5773
    • Snohomish County PUD - 425-783-1001 or 1-877-783-1001
    • Do not call 911 to report power outages.

    To report emergencies, including trees down over roads:

    • Call 911. City crews will respond when they're able and it is safe to do so.

    For non-emergencies:

    • Call Bothell Police at 425-486-1254. This number is staffed 24/7.

    Traffic information (Washington State): 

    • Call 5-1-1

    Social services: 

    • Call 2-1-1

    Will weather affect my garbage pickup? 

    Check your waste hauler's website for updates:

    Is school delayed or cancelled?

    Sign up for Flash Alerts for your school district or private school. 
        Northshore School District


    Will weather affect my bus ride? 

    Sign up for your transit agency's rider alert system to stay in the know about weather-related transit delays.