City Services

Utility Billing

Utility bills are issued every two months. Bills can be paid by mail, at City Hall, or by phone. Discounted rates are available for low-income residents age 62 and older.

Payment Options

Check payments
Mail your payment in the return envelope provided and be sure to include the remittance stub portion of the bill: City of Bothell, PO Box 24927, Seattle, WA 98124-0927.

In-Person payments
Cash, check and credit card payments can be made at Bothell City Hall, 18415 - 101st Avenue NE, Bothell, WA 98011.

After hours drop box payments
A drop box is located outside of City Hall on the north side of the building.

Phone payments
Credit/debit card payments can be made by calling 425.806.6881.

Bank bill-payer payments
We also accept payments from your bank’s bill-payer service. Please remember to list your full 7-digit customer number when making your payment.  Bill-payer payments should be addressed to:  City of Bothell, PO Box 24927, Seattle, WA 98124-0927.  Depending on the bill-payer service, it may take up to 7 days for the City to receive these payments and payments are posted upon receipt.

Starting or Stopping Service

Purchase or Sale of a home
If you are buying or selling a home you will need to contact us to provide us with seller’s name, property address, forwarding address, closing date, and buyer’s name.  Water and sewer charges are the responsibility of the owner.  If you purchase a property and the final bill is not paid at closing, it will become the responsibility of the new owner to pay the outstanding charge.  Check with your escrow company to make sure they are paying the closing bill.

Rental Properties
Rental property accounts are billed to the property owner.  A courtesy copy may be sent to the tenant upon request.

Extended Vacation or Vacancy
If you will be gone for an extended period of time you may want to consider requesting a temporary stop service.  There is a fee for turning off the service, and for turning on the service.  Contact us if you would like to temporarily stop service.

Water Leaks and Bill Adjustments for Leaks

As the homeowner you are responsible for locating and repairing a water leak.  If you find you have a leak and get it repaired, contact our office to apply for a leak adjustment.

Why am I receiving a bill from King County when City of Bothell charges me for sewer? 

This charge applies to all properties within the King County service area connected to sewer on or after February 1, 1990. It is to pay for building sewage treatment capacity to serve new connections to the regional sewer system. If you have any questions regarding this capacity charge, you can call 206.296.1450 or visit the King County website.

Non-City Utility Districts Serving Bothell Residents