City Services

Hazardous Material Info

Proper handling of hazardous materials protects our environment. Here is information for ways you can help:

Why it's important?

  • Storing hazardous chemicals and materials in your home or garage puts you, your family, and your neighborhood at risk. 
  • It is important to minimize this risk by always properly using, storing, and recycling these materials.

Hazardous Waste Facilities for Bothell residents

Businesses with Hazardous Materials

The Small Business Hazardous Waste Disposal at Household Hazardous Waste Facilities in King County is available to small businesses.

Hazardous Material Questions

View all
What is a hazardous material?
  • Batteries


  • Automotive Products: oil, antifreeze, batteries, wax, soaps, cleaners, fluids


  • Home Improvement: paint, varnish, stain, thinner, stripper, caulk, adhesive


  • Pesticides: insecticides, repellents, weed killers, rat poison, pet spray and dip, flea control, moth balls, disinfectants, wood preservatives


  • Cleaners: furniture polish and wax, drain opener, oven cleaner, tub and tile cleaner, toilet bowl cleaner, spot remover, bleach, ammonia


  • Other: cosmetics, hair products, shoe polish, lighter fluid, prescription medications, arts and crafts materials
Where do I take hazardous materials for proper handling?

The Household Hazardous Wastemobile is a free event for King County residents.  You can bring: solvents, batteries (lead acid, button, rechargeable), oil based paint, cleaners, pesticides, oil, antifreeze, gasoline, mercury products, fluorescent tubes, and propane tanks.  For more information and a list of dates, please visit Household Hazardous Wastemobile.


You can NOT BRING medications and electronic items to the Wastemobile events, for more information on how t properly dispose of medications, please visit  To learn more about electronics recycling, please visit

Is there a Household Hazardous Wastemobile event in Bothell this year?

Absolutely!  The 2015 Wastemobile is stationed in Bothell from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm on these days:


  • June 26 - 28
  • July 31 - August 2
  • September 18 - 20

  • October 23 - 25


Each event is located at The Seattle Times Building (19200 120th Ave NE, Bothell) in the North Creek Business Park.


Here's a link to the Wastemobile's multi-city schedule.

Who do I contact to report a spill?
To Report Illicit Discharges Or Spills: Contact the Public Works Department at 425.486.2768 during business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) or after hours, call the Police Department non-emergency number at 425.486.1254. 

If the spill is a direct hazard to human or environmental health, dial 911.  Be assured that all calls will remain anonymous and, if requested, you will not be contacted.  Thank you for being a part of our efforts to clean up our ground and surface water.
What do I do with extra paint?
You could donate it to a local school or other nonprofit organizations for projects.  For latex paint, you can add cat litter or sawdust to the container to dry out the remaining material and place it in your garbage for collection. 

To prevent the amount of remaining paint you have after a project you can use the paint calculator tool to calculate the amount of material to purchase.